When accusations began to come out against then-New York Governor Andrew Cuomo last year, there were many who hoped justice would be served – not only for any sexual misconduct he may have participated in but regarding the downright disastrous COVID decisions made by his office that led to millions of elderly nursing home patients across the state being unnecessarily exposed.
But now, it would seem that he’s going to get off easy… on both accounts.
According to The Times Union, Cuomo was charged with sexual misconduct or forcibly touching a woman against her will. The woman, his former executive assistant Brittany Commisso, alleged that he groped her while she was at the Executive Mansion in December of 2020.
The allegation would have been a misdemeanor charge against the former governor. But, as NBC News recently reported, that charge or set of charges is expected to be dropped in the coming days by District Attorney David Soares.
The problem with this, of course, is that Commisso is still seeking retribution. But according to prosecutors, the choice has been made to not “move forward” with the case. Apparently, the nature of the complaint, criminal as it may be, has led the prosecution in this direction.
According to Commisso’s attorney Brian Premo, there isn’t much Commisso can do about this decision. “She had no authority or voice in those decisions. The only thing she has any power over is her resolution to continue to speak the truth and seek justice in an appropriate civil action, which she will do in due course.”
So basically, Cuomo is allowed to continue doing as he pleases because the crime was not serious enough…
And apparently, the killing off of some 16 or so thousand nursing home residents isn’t enough either.
On that front, the investigation looking into Cuomo’s nursing home scandal, which involved the undercounting of COVID deaths inside nursing homes, was concluded recently. And according to the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, no real wrongdoing was done.
As Cuomo’s lawyer, Elkan Abramowitz, said on Monday, “I was contacted today by the head of the Elder Care Unit from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office who informed me they have closed its investigation involving the Executive Chamber and nursing homes,” according to Fox News.
“I was told that after a thorough investigation – as we have said all along – there was no evidence to suggest that any laws were broken.”
Now, before you think all hope of justice is lost, it’s important to know that investigations for both the nursing home scandal and the numerous sexual misconduct allegations are still being conducted by the FBI, New York AG, and the DOJ’s eastern district. However, as some have suggested, those too could end quite similarly, with charges being dropped and the case dismissed.
So far, the only real accountability to be had is that Cuomo was forced to resign. Of course, that likely wouldn’t have happened with Commisso taking to the airwave back in August of last year about the groping allegations. Cuomo resigned only days later.
Most of the other allegations against Cuomo up until this point had implied that Cuomo had been unusually forward with women that he often worked with. He made inappropriate comments, got much too close to them for comfort, and seemed to imply a desire to get much closer. You know, all that ‘creepy old guy’ stuff. But Commisso’s was the first allegation suggesting that he ever did more than inappropriate flirting. He had actually touched her.
And that was something the public just couldn’t ignore.
But it seems it’s something the prosecution, as well as the district attorney, can.
We can only hope that one or more investigations find something that will keep this murderer and creep from ever holding office again, as he’s currently still eligible to run, should he want to. So far, no announcements have been made on that note, and with 2022 statewide elections fast approaching, he is running out of time to do so. But only time will tell.